Health is a very important topic for me. I have specifically made it a menu option on my blog for this reason. I believe “health” can mean a lot of different things for everyone. That’s why there are thousands of methods out there. Therefore, I don’t expect everyone to do what I do. Do what works for you! And I’m talking physical and mental health. They are both connected full circle.
I stumbled upon the podcast “Explain Things To Me” last night as I was trying to fall asleep. Dr. Ramani Durvasula, a renowned psychologist, was featured and talked about what makes a healthy person. I loved all 35 minutes of it! I would highly recommend listening to it (or you can watch it here).
Additionally, here are some of my health “tools” that make it all a little more enjoyable:
1) Strava – This app and website is a great way to find running and biking routes, keep track of distance and pace, and monitor progress. Here is what mine looks like from tonights run, just for an example.
2) My Fitness Pal – I think most have heard about this calorie counting app. It’s a great way to monitor your food intake! I do not use this often anymore, but every now and again I will just to check myself. Mostly I prefer listening to my instincts rather than counting calories, but the app does tell you if you are getting enough protein, which is important to me.
3) Skinny Taste – I’ve loved everything I’ve tried from this website and now want the cookbook. She even has all the nutritional value broken down for you. Thank you, Gina!
4) Wireless Headphones – I don’t know how I was able to work out for so long without these in my life. Cords bother me, especially when I’m trying to run and there it is, bouncing up and down. Eventually gravity does it’s job and the ear piece isn’t even in my ear anymore! I tried Jaybird Bluebuds and had high hopes, but they just didn’t want to stay in my ears. I was super bummed. So I traded them in for the Powerbeats Wireless. They are spendy, but worth it IMHO, especially if you run/bike distance.
5) MUSIC (why we have the headphones) – I love using Spotify or just my iTunes. There are a lot of great playlists already on Spotify for running or working out. I put my favorites into my own playlist and just let it shuffle.
6) Something to hold your phone – My favorite being around the waist. This particular one is from H&M. I have my eye on some others though that I’d like to get. Like THIS.
7) Good (proper) Shoes – If you run, go to a running store and get fitted for some running shoes. Same for biking. Same for aerobic type classes (running shoes are expensive, don’t waste their life on Zumba). This is the #1 thing I would suggest investing in before anything else. I run in a Saucony Guide and for fear of injury, won’t change. When they wear out, I get new ones. I think I’m on my 3rd pair. I never get shin splints and love the way they fit my feet.
What do you use for work outs that I need to know about? Fill me in!!